The transcript is the student’s complete and official Division of Continuing Education record. It includes all credit and noncredit courses and grades from all Summer School and Extension School terms during which the student has been enrolled and, when appropriate, withdrawal and disciplinary notations. Transcripts for Extension School degree and diploma candidates also include relevant degree and diploma information. Professional certificates are noted on transcripts. However, Division of Continuing Education professional development programs do not appear on transcripts.

Official transcripts are embossed and signed by the Registrar. They may be sent directly to third parties or to students in sealed, signed envelopes for delivery to third parties. Student copies are unofficial and are neither embossed nor signed. They are marked “Issued to Student” and sent directly to the student.

Official transcripts are not issued to third parties for any students who have not met their financial and library obligations to Harvard University. Unofficial transcripts are issued directly to these students; they include a statement explaining the obligation to the University. Requests for transcripts should be made through online services. Students may also mail, fax, or email a completed Transcript Request form available on the Summer School website. Telephone requests and email requests without the appropriate form attached are not accepted. Transcript requests are typically processed within two business days from the date of receipt. However, it can take three to four business days or longer to process requests during busy periods. Submit your requests as early as possible, particularly if you have a deadline. There is no charge for transcripts. Academic Services reserves the right to limit the number of transcripts per request.

Hague Apostille

A certification or legalization is generally needed for US documents that leave the United States for recognition in the country of intended use. International students and US students living, working, and studying outside the United States may need to have their transcripts and diplomas authenticated by a designated federal authority. This authentication takes the form of a certification called an apostille as approved by the 1961 Hague Convention.

To obtain the apostille, submit a request for a notarized copy of your transcript. The notarized copy is issued to you in a signed, sealed envelope. Bring the notarized document to the Commissions Section, Room 1719, McCormack Building, 1 Ashburton Place, Boston, MA 02108 for certification and the apostille. Or mail the necessary documentation to the above address. For more information about the documents and information needed, as well as fees for each certification and apostille, see Certifications and Apostilles on the Secretary of the Commonwealth website.

The Summer School does not notarize Extension School diplomas. Instead, the Academic Services Office writes a letter verifying the degree and includes the following information in the letter as appropriate: the student’s name; degree, certificate, or diploma received; date of receipt; area of concentration; field of study; honors. The letter is signed by the associate registrar for Academic Services or the assistant registrar for Academic Services.